Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Know...and You Should Know Too!!

Today's been pretty laid back. I cooked and we ate leftovers. There were plenty of vegetables on my plate and plenty of green tea in my cup. I updated my budget sheet, mapped out my finances for the rest of the month and even put another load of laundry away. But...confession time: I never did complete my task of getting that dining room tabled cleaned off. I did a lot of it yesterday, but did not finish. I was too tired last night and today I just couldn't get motivated to do it. I am cooking again tonight, so hopefully I can get up enough energy to get it done.

Even though the last couple of days were driven by motivation, I have not been able to keep up the momentum today. I have a couple of projects to finish and I just can't bring myself to do them right now. I don't usually beat myself up because I always get the things done that I need to get done, but I sure would like to do it now!! At least I have my trusty "to do" list, because that keeps me on task. I just need to work on making it my "ta da" list instead!!

I was thinking earlier about what I wanted to say in today's blog, then I realized it's Thursday. Then I thought this is the perfect opportunity to focus on another side of healthy living: HIV testing. If you live in my hometown, then you (should) know that there are walk in hours for FREE HIV testing at the Aids Resource Center. I called in to verify because I was basing this information on some old information I obtained a while back. I'm glad I called because they moved the center!! If you have questions or you want to take advantage next Thursday, check them out: AIDS RESOURCE CENTER

Edited to preach...

If you are a mature adult, young or old, then taking care of your health and the health of your loved ones SHOULD be a priority!! This is ALL aspects of health, not just the ones we hear and agonize about (ie losing weight). I have heard so many excuses advocating the idea of NOT getting tested:

- People are scared. Well don't you want to know? Put your mind at ease. It would be scarier to have something, not know and pass it around. That is also very selfish to put others at risk.

- Negative stigma. This reason is plain stupid and quite frankly VERY immature. There is nothing wrong with you looking out for your own health. If you're adult enough to do adult things (drink, have sex, use drugs, pay to play), then you are adult enough to protect yourself and others. If someone has the nerve to make you feel uncomfortable about getting tested, then PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH THEM!! Oh, and encourage THEM to get to a center!!

I don't care WHAT reason people come up with to not know their status, because ALL of them are BS!!
Although I lacked motivation today, this is something that I decided to move on and and quickly. The staff was knowledgeable, friendly and makes you feel really comfortable!! Shout out to the SUPER cool Jared at ARC Ohio!! Listen, you don't have to wait until you think the worst or until December for World Aids Day. You can get tested anytime you like.

NO BLOOD!!

It's SAFE and CONFIDENTIAL!!

It only takes 20 minutes!!

It's FREE!!

There are no excuses...KNOW YOUR STATUS!!

4 comments:

  1. Loved it the first time I read it....love it even more with the healthy dose of "preaching" added! Great post Latisha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Aja!! I had a great time chatting with the counselor there too, he was excited I was blogging about it!! I will say too, I was very happy to see other women there who looked like us!! So we are loving ourselves enough to check on our health!! THAT'S AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post as always Latisha! I did that same test during a wellness fair at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much MsJayye!! This was a blog from August, but very appropriate for today!! I'm glad we have days like this as a reminder, but want people to know they don't have to wait until the designated day to take care of their business!!

    ReplyDelete