Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 12: I Have a Voice!!

Last night my book club went to see the movie The Help. We read the book a little while back and we were elated to find out it had been made into a movie!! We vowed to see it and we were not disappointed. There were some differences between the two, but there were so many subtleties in the book, there was no way to capture them all on screen. The special parts they did highlight, were done so very well.

Two things stood out for me, as they directly related to my life and why I am who I am and do what I do todxay. Aibileen, a black maid who was the main character, said at one point in the movie…"no one ever asked me how I felt before." This was in direct response to a female writer, who’d come back to their hometown after college, to write a book from the black maid’s (who raised white children) perspective.

Another key point throughout the movie was where Aibileen was shown with the white child for which she cared. She knew early that the child’s mother would not give her a fair chance at life, because of the way the little girl looked. So Aibileen taught her to feel good about herself, having her often recite the words, “I is kind, I is smart, I is important.”

This lesson is one we can all learn. Although she taught the little girl she was somebody, she didn’t feel that way about herself initially. It wasn’t until someone asked her for her opinion, did she realize her words were important too and what she thought and said counted for something. When she was asked to participate in the book, she was given that gift; learning just that. She had an opinion that counted; she had a perspective someone wanted to read; she had a VOICE.

THIS is why I blog and more importantly, why I share it. Everything I learn, I’m excited to pass it on because I believe EVERYONE matters. Sharing helps out someone else, whether we know it or not. Speaking a kind word, giving a little advice and sharing an experience with someone else can make great impacts on the world, one person or group at a time. It encourages strength, confidence and love. I’m reminded of a video of Oprah where she mentioned why she wanted to be a journalist…to give information to people, because sharing it will make the world a better place. I agree with her. I HAVE A VOICE and so do you!! USE IT!! Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Halleleujah! You tell them. Everyone has a VOICE. We all have some information that we can share with others that WILL make a DIFFERENCE! Keep on being a Blessing My Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Dr. Taffy!! I appreciate your Amen!!

    ReplyDelete